Museums in Ciudad Juarez
Ciudad Juárez has 11 incredible museums, some of them private collections.
- Museum of the Revolution on the Border
- Adobe House Museum
- Art Museum
- Pope Francis Museum
- La Rodadora Interactive Museum
- El Chamizal Museum of Archeology and History
- Labyrinth of the Fifth Sun Art Gallery Museum (Private)
- Germán Valdés Tin Tan Art Room Museum
- Museum Art Gallery Paso del Norte Cultural Center
- Museum of Art and Bullfighting History of Ciudad Juárez (Private)
Museum of the Revolution on the Border
The Museum of the Revolution on the Border, also popularly called the Ex-Customs Museum or MUREF, for its acronym; It is a museum located right in the historic center, in which the main theme is the general history of Ciudad Juárez and especially the Mexican Revolution, due to the important role that this border played in said national movement.
The Ciudad Juárez Customs House was built between 1885 and 1888. It was inaugurated on September 10, 1889 with the presence of Porfirio Díaz’s personal representative, Colonel Miguel Ahumada, and Governor Lauro Carrillo.
El edificio es un auténtico protagonista y testigo de la Revolución Mexicana, ya que en 1909 albergó a los presidentes Porfirio Díaz, de México y William Howard Taft de los Estados Unidos cuando celebraron aquella famosa entrevista el 16 de octubre de 1909. En mayo de 1911, después de la toma de la ciudad fronteriza, Francisco I. Madero instaló ahí sus oficinas y la empleó como presidencia provisional de la República, en 1913 fue cuartel del General Francisco Villa y en 1914, presidencia provisional al recibir en sus instalaciones al gobierno revolucionario de Venustiano Carranza.
After some years of abandonment, on November 22, 1975, through the Official Gazette of the Federation, it was decreed that the building be transferred to the state government and transferred to the National Heritage Secretariat for the purpose of setting up a museum. . In April 1983 an agreement was signed to restore it and turn it into a museum and cultural center. On July 18, 1990 through an agreement between the municipal and state governments and the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH), it was inaugurated as the Historical Museum of Ciudad Juárez.
It was reopened as the Ex Customs Historical Museum of Ciudad Juárez in July 1990. In the remodeling of this museum and its conditioning for the new museum project, hundreds of Juarenses contributed documents, clothing and weapons of the time. The museography is based on nine thematic axes: Mexican nationalism on the border; The Organizing Board of the Mexican Liberal Party and the transition to anarchism; The triumph of Maderism in Ciudad Juárez; The radicalization of the struggle; Pancho Villa; The revolution of the gaze; The border as a setting; Imaginaries, and Border Customs.
Finally, during the commemoration of the centenary of the Revolution, the museum is once again reconceptualized as the Museum of the Revolution on the Border and reopened on May 20, 2011.
The building that now occupies the Museum of the Revolution on the Border is next to the Plaza Misión de Guadalupe; and it is one of the most representative monuments on this border, it is a unique building with a hybrid architectural style and a 19th century French touch.
The Border Customs was designed by the American architect George E. King and built by the engineer Manuel Garfias with the support of the federal government in 1885, it was inaugurated on September 10, 1889, its purpose being to carry out administrative and fiscal control. For the 1909 Díaz-Taft interview, the sullen appearance of the Customs Office changes to an apparent luxury, the central patio is roofed with embossed sheet and coffered ceiling brought from France, six pilasters are placed as decorative elements, the walls are plastered with medallions and medallions added. Frescoes with representations of still life on the upper part of the doors, on the ceiling are installed in the center and its surroundings cut glass chandeliers of Austrian origin.
Adobe House Museum
Settled in a rugged area with a rustic landscape in the middle of an environment covered with touches of an indilutable past despite more than 100 years of past history, the «Casa de Adobe» Museum is today one of the most visited cultural sites. for tourism in the western area of Ciudad Juárez.
Away from the natural bustle of the city in the sector known as Rancho Anapra, about two kilometers from the urban area and located a few meters from the dividing line with the United States, this site was rebuilt on May 8, 2011 on the occasion of the Centennial of the Taking of Ciudad Juárez is currently a Site Museum that commemorates the agreements signed by Francisco I. Madero prior to the resignation of President Porfirio Díaz.
It is a small two-room enclosure that reproduces with relative fidelity the original environment where the Maderista camp was established and that encloses within its walls a special atmosphere, full of echoes and memories that are present in each piece of furniture, each painting, each implement that adorns its interior environment and that represents one of the great attractions for the visitor.
Its walls couldn’t live up to its name better. In these two small rooms made of clay, the same or more history is kept than in many great buildings throughout Mexico. There it was the National Palace, a war room, a negotiating table, it served as a hospital and even as a kitchen for the revolutionary troops. It is the Adobe House, a small enclosure made up of two rooms and located just four meters from the border with the United States. In fact, in that region there are no fences or walls and you can walk to the neighboring country without major problem.
There, Francisco I. Madero negotiated the peace treaties that were later signed in the former customs office of Juárez and that led to the subsequent surrender of President Porfirio Díaz, a fact that gave a vital change to the course of the Mexican Revolution in the year of 1911.
Also in this small place, General Francisco Villa and Pascual Orozco defined the military strategy for the capture of Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, one of the great battles of the revolutionary feat.
The Adobe House is located about two kilometers northeast of Juárez. To get there, you have to go through one of the poorest areas of the border, then cross some unpaved streets, where even these days a stream of sewage has formed and the stench is unbearable. Tourists come to the place every day from various regions of Mexico, and with some regularity travelers from other latitudes and from places as remote as Asia. “The museum is administered by the municipality, but the road is located on federal land because it is the zone of international limits. I hope that the Federation could support us with an entry in better conditions so that more tourists have the opportunity to see such an important place in the history of our country ”, commented the director of the Casa de Adobe, Alfredo Figueroa.
In one of the rooms of the house there are two original beds from revolutionary times, to recreate the ones that Francisco I. Madero and his wife used during the time they stayed there. Although Figueroa himself acknowledges that in reality the political leader claimed to live there to motivate the troops, but he went every night to sleep in a hotel in El Paso, Texas, a city that is located just across the Rio Grande.
In fact, Francisco I. Madero had a telephone at the Casa de Adobe, thanks to a line that was laid precisely from United States territory. In this way, he kept in contact with Porfiro Díaz to negotiate his resignation, with his supporters in the capital of the country, and also, it is said, with the government of Washington to continue sponsoring him in the revolt. In the house-museum dozens of historical photographs have also been placed, as well as utensils and weapons from the revolutionary era. It was the year 1911, when the Villista troops camped there and a few meters away, in US territory, dozens of «gringos» were concentrated, who from there saw the Mexican soldiers as a curiosity.
Today, this area of Ciudad Juárez is uninhabited, but the Adobe House is there to remember the historical passages that were written with the blood of the revolutionaries, but also so that much of that history is not forgotten, like the telephone number of Francisco I. Madero, first turned to the United States and then settled on Mexican soil.
This Museum was built in 1963, as part of the NATIONAL BORDER PROGRAM (PRONAF). It was opened to the public in 1964 in the presidential term of Adolfo López Mateos.
One of the objectives that PRONAF had was the creation of cultural and entertainment centers along the entire border between Mexico and the United States. Here in Ciudad Juárez this Museum, the FONART building, the Show Room of the INBA (Cultural Center of the City, currently) and the Lienzo Charro López Mateos were made. The architectural design is unique and a sample of contemporary art, the work of the famous architect Pedro Ramírez Vázquez who has collaborated on projects such as the Museum of Modern Art in Mexico City, the Basilica of Guadalupe and the Azteca Stadium.
If you want, you can check the following documentary video here.
The central and main element of the complex consists of a large circular enclosure measuring 400 square meters in area, covered with a translucent plastic dome (resin-polyester) of more than 28 meters in diameter and 2 inches thick, in its moment was an innovation in the Mexican construction industry; The annex to this main body are two semicircular rooms with an area of 441 square meters between them and they are communicated to the central body by a corridor; It is made of concrete, aluminum and glass. Initially named as the Museum of Art and History, it housed collections that chronologically showed the stages of Mexican art, from archaic cultures to the latest schools and trends of the current era; It was also intended to show Mexican handicrafts, customs, as well as the industrial and commercial development of the country.
Currently, plastic work by contemporary Mexican artists is temporarily exhibited, due to its location the Museum also houses work by foreign artists, especially North Americans. It has hosted exhibitions of great national and international plastic artists such as: Rufino Tamayo, José Luis Cuevas, Sebastián, Luis Nishizawa, Vicente Rojo, Manuel Felguérez, Daniel Lezama, Lucia Maya, Shinzaburo Takeda, as well as regional artists: Alfredo Téllez » El Bandido ”, Verónica Leyton, Adriana Peña Fernández and Antonio Ochoa, among others. In addition to the exhibitions of plastic art, the Ciudad Juárez Museum of Art has enriched its cultural offer with lectures and literary presentations, film cycles, literature, painting, singing and photography workshops, it also has a library and an esplanade in the Exterior. Its founding director was Arch. Felipe Lacouture Fornelli, followed by Arch. José Diego Lizárraga and later by Dr. Enrique Cortazar and later by Lic. Rosa Elva Vázquez Ruiz; at present it is directed by Lic. Christian Aurelio Diego Diego.
Pope Francis Museum
On February 17, 2017, Pope Francis made a historic visit to Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, as part of his pastoral trip to Mexico. He met with inmates from the Ciudad Juárez penitentiary. Also with workers and businessmen to later rest a little in the Conciliar Seminary. Now it has a special meaning, that here was a Pope of the Catholic Church, something historical, unthinkable, a blessing, not only for those who live in this house, but for the whole city,
Upon his arrival at the seminary, Pope Francis broke protocol and went first to the chapel to visit the Virgin of Guadalupe. «It was not planned, he asked where the chapel was, he was told to enter that prayer room and offered flowers before the image of the Virgin of Guadalupe that we have here,» says the rector of the Ciudad Juárez Conciliar Seminary. All of his activities within the seminar were private, but for those who attended him it was an unforgettable experience.
For that reason, within the seminary that the Pope visited, a museum was created, in which visitors can learn more about the visit of the Supreme Pontiff to Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua. The dining room where the Holy Father ate with the entourage, the seat that he used at Mass, the seat that he used in Cereso, the bed, the armchair, the kneeler and a small bureau that Pope Francis used during his visit are part of the objects exhibited by the museum. Most of these items were manufactured in Ciudad Juárez.
The Pope Francisco museum, in the Ciudad Juarez council seminary, will remain open to the public and is free, only the guided tours will have to be scheduled.
La Rodadora Interactive Museum
The interest and enthusiasm of a group of young entrepreneurs and the support of the Federal, State and Municipal Government coincided to make possible the presentation of «Papalote Móvil II». After four months in the Omega Industrial Park facilities and more than 200,000 visitors, the idea of creating a space for coexistence and meaningful learning that would live permanently in Ciudad Juárez was further strengthened.
The state government provided the land that would house the museum within the Central Park, one of the most popular in the city. The design and executive project were achieved with the contributions of the Museum Board, the CONACYT-Municipal Government Mixed Fund, the coordinator of the project, Architect Pablo Romero Ramos and his group of architects. The construction of the work was carried out with resources from the State Government and at the end of the year Papalote Museo del Niño was invited to present the museological and museographic proposal.
As a result of its extensive and recognized experience in creating museum spaces, Papalote presented La Rodadora as an avant-garde interactive space developed based on the concerns, needs and expectations of the Juarense community, collected through several visits and a session of interviews conducted in June 2010.
With a land of 32,970 m2 and 12,016 m2 of construction, La Rodadora was inaugurated in August 2013, highlighting the importance of the children of Juárez having access to the knowledge and transformation that a space of this nature implies. The museum consisted of more than 120 interactive exhibits, a library, a 3D room for approximately 100 people, and a temporary exhibition room.
La Rodadora since its opening in 2013 and to date has received more than 1 million people in its facilities, this due to its great importance in the northern region of the country, with La Rodadora being the second largest museum in Latin America with more than 30,000 m2.
This museum has 120 permanent exhibitions, a temporary exhibition hall, a library equipped with educational systems that will combine the traditional with the modern and consult future trends, a 3D movie theater with, a central courtyard and an open-air theater. free, The two central themes that are seen in the museum are the natural environment and social environment, the first highlighting the origin of life and its development through the years focusing mainly on the desert region. Regarding the social environment, it highlights the history of the region, the development of society and its various historical stages, including the technological development that has occurred in the city and its influence on the rest of the country and the world. La Rodadora facilities are located within the general complex of Parque Central Poniente Hermanos Escobar.
The rooms that stand out are: paleontology, where remains of a mammoth found by archaeologists in Chihuahua are exhibited and three geological periods (Paleozoic, Mesozoic and Cenozoic) are shown to the public.
The grassland room where young people play at not littering, reforesting and feeding the water tables
The border culture room where images show the ancestors and importance of Ciudad Juárez at the beginning of the Mexican Revolution and objects such as solar heaters, the bed of nails, the human-sized chess game.
El Chamizal Museum of Archeology and History
Founded on March 21, 1976 after the historic moment of The Delivery of El Chamizal to Mexico, the museum, remodeled in 2018 in collaboration with the IMIP, is today a very important cultural space for the country that guards important original pieces of regional history and serves as a cultural space with permanent and temporary art exhibition rooms, as well as an outdoor exhibition of Pre-Hispanic Mexico and Paquimé, within a sheltered area of the park of just over 3 hectares that also has an artificial lake .
It is also the venue for public events such as small concerts, artistic presentations for children and even outdoor sports activities.
It opens from Tuesday to Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sundays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday closed every day except Monday. A guided school visit can be scheduled by calling 656 737 0947 or by email
firstname.lastname@example.org, admission is free.
Labyrinth of the Fifth Sun Art Gallery (Private)
With its motto «Art and culture is an investment, never an expense.», This amazing art gallery was inaugurated last May 2021 and houses an important private collection. It also has a room for temporary exhibitions in order to promote the work of local, national to international artists.
The goal of its creators is to give the entire binational community a space accessible to the general public, but also an ideal one for art collectors and buyers. It has guided tours and an agenda of temporary exhibitions.
It is located in a modern building, opposite the Country Club, on De Los Portales Street, 300 meters from the well-known Plaza Portales. It is recommended to contact the gallery prior to a visit on its facebook page to know its availability according to current regulations.
Germán Valdés Tin Tan Art Room
The image of Germán Valdés Tin Tan disrupts many identity traits of Chihuahuenses and especially the inhabitants of the border, for this reason Ciudad Juárez pays a well-deserved tribute to the Golden Pachuco with the Art Room that bears his name. Tin Tan represents the Mexican and because of his sympathy, wit and spontaneity, they make him a complete artist and a distinguished Juarense who will never go out of style, said Luis Fernando Armendáriz Ledezma, head of the Office of Heritage and Cultural Management at the Chihuahuense Institute. of Culture.
In recent days the Chihuahuense Institute of Culture handed over to the City of Ciudad Juárez the building that comprises the first stage of the Germán Valdés Tin Tan Art Room. «It is a project of national importance that integrates an object art room, where People will be able to see belongings and clothing that belonged to the artist, said Armendáriz Ledezma. The Chihuahuense Institute of Culture and the Imcine Platform will be integrated into the project, to install a screen where tapes from the Golden Age of Mexican cinema are exhibited, he added. As the building progresses, he added, there will be other services, such as two projection rooms, one exclusively for films starring Tin Tan and the other for Mexican cinema and art in general.
The third stage includes a space for a literary café, in addition to the installation of a Street Cinema, in order to screen at night, in a very old scheme, outdoor functions.
The project, he added, bets on the integration of citizens with the Historic Center of Ciudad Juárez, in an effort to revitalize and regenerate it. Open-air and museum activities will complement in a very good way the new face that Ciudad Juárez has for the world. The resources to shape the first stage of the building come from an item of five million pesos, approved in the Budget of Expenditures of the Federation 2015, resources that are added to those contributed by the municipality, which donated the land. Added to this are the payments for copyright and use of objects to the Valdés family.
The architectural concept of the building responds to a very sober style; It is an ornamental brick massif, it has directed lighting. It aspires to be an enclosure with a lot of darkness to play with good lighting and in this way give a suitable museum touch, said the architect, also. For now, he added, the structure has been delivered and the municipality will be pleased to establish the signage and formalize the museum project that the visitor should take by the hand.
Next week the lot with Tin Tan’s belongings arrives in Ciudad Juárez, donated by his daughter Rosalía Valdés, to start the assembly that will take two months; between August and September we will be in a position to announce the inauguration of the venue, he said. It should be noted that a life-size sculpture by Germán Valdés is located in the Historic Center of Ciudad Juárez, where lovers and followers of the pachuco gather. It is a project that has to do with the intangible cultural heritage of the norteño.
Paso del Norte Cultural Center Art Gallery
Cinema, cafeteria, bookstore, handicraft store, art showrooms, terrace and home to some Fine Arts classes for children. This place, located in the PRONAF area, is one of the most important cultural spaces in our city, it was rescued and awarded to the Autonomous University of Ciudad Juárez and today it is home to important concerts, exhibitions, screenings and artistic and cultural fairs.
The Cultural Center of the Borders is now open after having obtained its seal of quality as a clean point and will allow a capacity of up to 100 people.
La próxima función del Cinito Universitario será el próximo sábado 5 de junio, con la película 21 gramos. Para más información referente a esta dinámica, pueden dirigirse a la página de Facebook Cinito Universitario.
El Café Universitario estará abierto de lunes a sábado de 8:00 de la mañana a 4:00 de la tarde.
Las exposiciones “La ciudad es un loft”, montada en la Sala Oro, y “365 días en silencio”, ubicada en la Sala Tierra, podrán apreciarse de lunes a sábado, de 8:00 de la mañana a 3:00 de la tarde.
Para recoger únicamente material bibliográfico, la Librería Universitaria tendrá un horario, de lunes a viernes, de 10:00 de la mañana a 1:00 de la tarde para el turno matutino, y de 3:00 de la tarde a 7:00 de la noche para el turno vespertino. El sábado, el horario de la librería es de 10:00 de la mañana a 6:00 de la tarde.
Museum of Art and Bullfighting History of Ciudad Juárez (Private)
Located on the second floor of the famous restaurant «La Custodia de San Pablo». It has a large exhibition of art, photography and original objects of bullfighting history and its relationship with the development of the border community since its inception. Admission is free and a guided tour can be requested. A must if you are a lover of local history.